Sunday, February 17, 2013

Four Years Later


This started off as a short Facebook post and it grew. So, I decided tonight was the night to start a blog. Here goes nothing....

Valentine's Day week, four years ago, the flu hit our house.  And a few days later on February 18th,  M was admitted to Inova P-ICU. She was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and just like her Daddy. 

For the last 10 days, since C's positive flu test, this has been a constant script in my head. 

The flu happened and then it was diabetes. 

Every time he's asked for water in a demanding urgent tone, I checked his blood glucose. The numbers aways normal…. 

Night time calls for a drink, keep me up for hours. Even if he only took the smallest sip before returning to sleep...

I hate this week every year. The people in my house are always sick and I can't get it out of my head. 

Many people celebrate their child's Diaversary, the anniversary of the day they were diagnosed with diabetes. 

For the last three, I was just thankful to reach February 18th without our third Type 1 diagnoses. Our only "celebration" has been Trey and I quickly mentioning in passing that we survived another year. 

But, tomorrow will be different. I think M needs a celebration to honor how much she has accomplished this year… 


If only Pinterest had diaversary party ideas...

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of the whole diaversary thing from that angle... but it makes perfect sense for you guys.

    Thanks for sharing your story. It's the many perspectives and voices that make the online diabetes community what it is. I'm glad to have your voice in the mix. :-)

    ReplyDelete